I picked "savor" as my word for 2009, and I think it's been a pretty good one so far.
I normally try to rush through things. It's not that I am necessarily in a hurry, it's just that I am constantly looking forward to what's next in my life. What lies ahead for me? What does my future hold?
I can admit that I am sometimes so wrapped up in the future, that I forget to appreciate what's happening RIGHT NOW. And I need to, because these moments are brief, and once they are gone, I will only be left with the memories.
And I want those memories to be clear, detailed, and full of emotion. I want to really live in the moment, even though I know I will not be able to tamper the feeling of needing to know what's ahead, not completely. That's a big part of who I am, and I don't want to change that aspect. Instead, I want to strengthen the other part of me, the part that really enjoys my life right now.
Here are a few things I've taken the time to savor lately:
- Singing along to the radio in the car. I love doing this. I'm not exactly a fantastic singer, and I would never sing loudly with anyone else in the car, but it is a great release for me.
- The weather. I'm not really an "outside" person, but the weather lately has been amazing, and I find myself almost WANTING to do yard work just so I have a reason to enjoy it. Our yard has never looked so good. Even yesterday, when I was so sore I could barely move, I really enjoyed pulling up the drive and seeing our mulched flower beds and freshly cut grass.
- Time with Phillip. As he gets into the planting season, I see less and less of him. Some nights he's in the fields until 10:30. I really do savor the little moments with him, whether it's just watching tv at night, or eating dinner at the kitchen bar.
- Planning for the future. I realize that this goes against the idea of savoring the moment, but I really love when Phillip & I are able to talk about our lives, and our plans. It's something I love to do, and I totally savor making plans.
- Not being busy at work. After the last few weeks, it's kind of nice to just relax. It will be super busy again before I know it, and I'm trying to savor this time.
- Meeting our friends' new baby. So adorable. We got to meet him when he was just four days old, and I really believe that a newborn is just the most precious thing in the world.
- Seeing an old friend. You know that type of person, where it doesn't matter how long it's been, you instantly feel like you saw them yesterday? That's how this girl is. I just feel at home seeing her.
- Making time for me. Sometimes you just need some alone time!
- Reading. I just started the Stephanie Plum books, and I like them. Very quirky sense of humor, which I love. Not sure why it's taken me forever to start these, since I've heard so many good things about them from so many people, but I picked up the first one on Saturday. I really want to read more, and I'd like to alternate a light, funny book with a heavier, more intellectual one. Any suggestions?
- Grilling. I love this time of year, for pork, burgers, chicken, and even veggies. No mess to clean up!
What have you taken the time to enjoy lately? Are you living your word?